Assessing Dark Skin Tone Resources
Advancing Excellence Collaborative for Long Term Care (AELTCC) has compiled a set of resources to assist nursing and direct care staff with strategies for identifying potential alteration in skin integrity specifically for individuals with dark skin tone.
Early identification of potential alteration is essential for prompt prevention measures when caring for individuals with dark skin tone. Without proper education and training, healthcare workers may miss early indicators of changes
that could lead to pressure injuries.
Courtney M. Maurer BSN, RN, Adult Gerontology Acute Care DNP, University of Wisconsin-Madison, has prepared a compilation of resources and educational tools related to assessing dark skin tone for prevention and quality of care.
- Video: Dark Skin Tone Assessment and Documentation (Video produced by Courtney M. Maurer, BSN, DNP, as part of DNP completion at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, School of Nursing)
- Resource Sheet- Skin Assessment and Documentation for Dark Skin Tone
- Proposed Skin Alteration Assessment Related to Individuals with Dark Skin Tones
- Munsell Color Chart
- Pressure Injuries Resource for Direct Caregivers
- Top Ten Tips: Assessing Darkly Pigmented Skin
- NPIAP Staging Card
- Dark Skin Tone Reference List
A Resource Provided by Advancing Excellence Collaborative for Long Term Care.